Thursday, October 18, 2012

Being Brave

Hello! My normal posts are about my crafts, but today I am part of a Blog Circle - a circle of amazing women bloggers who are doing incredible things with their talents. I hope you will take few minutes to follow the links through this circle.

We will be doing this once a month and today's circle theme is "Being Brave." As I write this post I am in Germany for the first time in my life. I had the incredible opportunity to travel and see some of Europe with my 9-year-old son and this trip has been simply amazing. I have thought a lot about being brave and what I would write about in this post. For a long time I thought it would be about how much courage it took for me to get on a plane with my son, leaving my husband and small daughter 5000 miles behind me, and about teaching my son there is a whole world out there to explore.

All of that is true, but while here we had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the Anne Frank House Museum in Amsterdam. The power and raw emotion of this experience was life changing. When I thought about "being brave" before the museum my whole thought process was different than after.

The power of the human spirit, the will to survive and thrive and the adversity and injustice these people faced was incredible. And this was just one small group of people. One young girl with ideas and dream and imperfections - not so different from my own children.

I still don't know what it takes to "be brave" but I know that I am now a different person. Someone who has walked through the same rooms as Anne Frank, someone who saw her actual diary filled with a young girl's thoughts. I am someone who owes it to her and to my children and to the world to do my best and to strive to be brave every day. It would be a tragedy if I didn't. Do yourself a favor today and BE BRAVE.


My blog circle link:Juniper Goods
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Kelli! HI! ((waving)) So glad you're having fun in Europe. I haven't been to Amsterdam (REALLY want to) and it sounds like it's one of those must-do trips.

    Thank you for sharing how profound your experience was, how the Anne Frank museum touched you!

    And THANK YOU for writing, even while on holiday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW, you are being brave just by traveling but on top of that you had an amazing and profound experience by visiting the Anne Frank museum. Have a wonderful and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny isn't it how we plough through life and then suddenly BAM something comes out of left field and just changes our perspective just like that!
    I too think you are being brave travelling and because you were brave enough to take the risk you were able to experience the moving and powerful experience of the Anne Frank Museum.
    Enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post! It is so true we really don't know what being brave is about until we are tested. It is so cool you can travel with your son. If you have the courage to do that then your brave. Traveling is so much fun, can be scary to children because they like routine. If you think of it as an adventure then you jump into whatever comes your way, new buildings, new people and languages and the food etc... your so brave!
    Enjoy,
    Chandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! This brought me back to my travels to Anne Franks hideaway. that is a memory I will never forget. It is so cool you have this opportunity to spend time with your son making lifelong memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelli, say Hi to my daughter who is in Amsterdam too! How wonderful that you were able to take that trip with your son. I think it is am important thing for young people to have an opportunity to travel and see more of the world. And yes you need to be brave and courageous, but go for it!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip for you to be doing with your young son. Enjoy your travels together.

    Your visit to the Anne Frank House Museum left me filled with goosebumps. I can only imagine what it must have been like to visit. I remember my daughter reading her story when she was younger. Certainly a brave young girl.

    Off topic a bit... I absolutely love your website header. The patterns and fabric bring back memories for me of days when I did lots of sewing, especially when my children were young. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...