Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Christmas Quilt - Three Years In The Making


When I had just started quilting (about six years ago) I walked into a fabric shop with my friend (and quilt guru) Carol and was star struck with a version of this quilt hanging on the wall. It was love at first sight, but it looked so complicated I didn't give it a second thought. Except I kept thinking about it. Later that summer I bought the kit...then did nothing.

A year or so later I finally got the courage to begin cutting the beautiful fabric. It felt like life or death - I was so worried I would cut wrong and ruin it. I survived the cutting process and even got a few of the log cabin blocks sewn in one weekend. Then it got put on the back burner again.

The next year, while on maternity leave during the fall, I got a wild burst of energy (probably hormones!!) and finished the entire quilt, except the binding, in the early morning hours after nursing the baby and before everyone else got up for the day. That year it was on the couch for Christmas, folded so the raw edges were hidden.

Another busy year later, it was on the couch again, still not finished. I woke up at 5am on Christmas Eve and just HAD to bind the quilt right then, that day - no matter that I was expecting a house full of people! Christmas would wait until the binding was completed.

But when I get my crazy bouts of inspiration I need to share it...but who to call at 5am??? One of my nearest and dearest happened to be in Germany at the time - and nine hours ahead! So there I was, early Christmas Eve morning, in my awesome fuzzy bathrobe, binding this quilt and talking to someone very special to me (who is also a quilter and totally understood my need to finish it RIGHT THEN!).

And that is the story of my Three Year Christmas Quilt. It makes me so happy every time I bring it out for the season. If you have a project that feels like its taking forever do not despair....it will happen!

This fabric has the most beautiful, rich colors.

 
The entire quilt top.

 
The large scrap back.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Your quilt is absolutely lovely. I fully understand the lengthy process it took you to get it done. You are ahead of me. I started a huge family tree book about 5 years ago... so many things happened in between that time where it came to a halt and it still is left there waiting for me to pick it up. It's my one and only big project that I am committing to completing in 2013. Congratulations on achieving the completion of your Christmas Quilt project. It's very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! I'm sure your book will be amazing! :O)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...