Thursday, December 20, 2012

December Reflections - A Blog Circle


Hello! My normal posts are about my crafts, but today I am part of a Blog Circle - a group of amazing women bloggers who are doing incredible things with their talents. I hope you will take few minutes to follow the links through this circle.

A snowman made from my son's kindergarten hand print.


As a child each year I made a point to sit near the Christmas tree when the house was quiet and just enjoy its beauty with all the lights turned out. I could just stare at it, entranced, absorbing the peace. This time of year it is easy to become busy, especially now that I'm an adult and a mommy to my own children, but I realized now more than ever I need to slow down and savor the beauty around me.

I got to looking at our family Christmas tree and realized its a collection of our life stories and beautiful memories. Little trinkets and those most precious hand-made, straight-from-school ornaments. They are literally priceless.

A sparkly nutcracker for the tree.
As my children grow I am becoming more aware how fleeting their time at home, in our care and under our shelter, will be. There is so much to teach them, so much I am still learning myself. I find things that they love, like our collection of nutcrackers on the mantel, takes on special meaning because when we get them out I get to experience their uninhibited joy. It is a gift each and every time it bubbles over in the form of that sweet laughter and those funny expressions.
Santa on the Eiffel Tower - I got to visit family in Europe with my son this year.
As I make time to sit and reflect I am thankful for the gifts I have been given. A wonderful husband, two sweet children and all of the fingerprinted, misspelled mementos they offer so proudly. How could my heart not overflow with love and gratitude?
A hand-crafted gift box.
Like so many parents I have struggled in the last week. Trying to make sense of life in a seemingly crazy world. Navigating the delicate terrain of explaining excruciating topics in age appropriate ways. Hugging harder and snuggling more and trying to keep my own roller coaster emotions in check. Being a grown up is hard sometimes and its funny that these little people we raise have no idea how much comfort they can bring on a quiet night, when they are tucked into bed, and mommy sits in the dark by the tree and reflects.
One of my favorite keepsakes - a word that expressed something special to my preschooler.

Please enjoy my blog circle link to Juniper Goods.Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I made it around the entire circle ! It's great to have this kids ornament on the tree. I agree, i am trying to keep up the positive considering the recent events. I have hope. �� Happy Holidays to you! Chandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, I enjoyed your post. And I too, love to look at ornaments from the past of my kids. Brings back such fond memories! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli, really loved your post. So agree with you that our children can give us enormous joy and comfort in our toughest moments. I also keep decorating the house with their masterpieces throughout the year which creates a sense of love and memories.
    Hope you have an wonderful xmas with your family.

    www.agentlerebellion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet sweet post... My kids are tucked in bed right now and the Xmas tree is glowing softly in front me, you are right, this is a wonderfully peaceful time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Kelli. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Christmas with children. They grow up too fast. So enjoy these years. I loved how you shared about sitting by the tree to reflect. Too often we don't slow down long enough to do that. Thank you for reminding me to do just that.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you have a nutcracker collection and how it brings your family joy. I too have a collection! When I was little I loved the ballet so much that ever since I was tiny my parents would hide a nutcracker for me to find on Christmas Eve and say that God-father Drosselmeyer left it for me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...