Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Power of 12 - A Project


Okay, so the number 12 has been floating around in my life lately. I know, its sounds a little cosmic but just hear me out!

I recently finished a 12-week running clinic. I went from running one minute to running 20 minutes at a time - over the course of 12 weeks. I kept at a steady routine that slowly built itself into something I am really proud of. And now that I can run for 30 minutes at a time I am left to wonder - what else is possible? Or, for the sake of this project:
What is the power of 12??

A friend who has become a Take Shape For Life coach recently put a quote on Facebook about twelve and it was the spark that got me thinking. Here is the quote:

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. Give it 12 weeks. Don't quit."

When I thought back about running I knew this to be true but I realized this strategy can be applied so many other places - especially creativity! Hence, my summer project.

THE POWER OF 12!
Life is busy and if you are like me often the things you really want to do...your heart's desires...get put last on the list for various reasons. So I propose two challenges!

First Challenge: Pick 12 things you want to accomplish - big or small. Anything from organizing the closet that is mentally draining every time you walk past it to tackling the quilt you've been meaning to start for the last five years (this is one of mine!), starting an art journal or reorganizing your socks. Then write one on the calendar for each of the next 12 weeks and allow yourself to face these projects head on instead of letting them continue to clutter your mind. (Notice I said START a quilt, as opposed to making a quilt in a week....not a possibility in my schedule). Keep it fun and inspiring - not all the projects need to be heavy, and if one sounds more doable than the one you have written down for that week allow yourself the luxury of rescheduling!

Second Challenge: YOU TIME!! For the next 12 weeks you are committing yourself to something YOU want to do for 12 minutes a day! Read, sew, draw, take pictures, walk, whatever is your heart's desire! For me it is working in my studio on various projects. Even the busiest of people can find 12 minutes sometime during the day. Then, no matter what's going on we have done something for ourselves, even if its been only 12 minutes. And if we are lucky enough to have longer then by all means go for it! Often I may have the time but struggle with getting in the zone so my 12 minute commitment may be the tool to get me in the right frame of mind.

Mark your calendar for the end of your 12 weeks and look back on what you've accomplished. You will be shocked at how a little mindfulness has added up for the better! This is not about perfection - its about making time for the heart and clearing some mental clutter - you can't go wrong!

I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! Please let me know via comment or email what you are up to and how its working out. I will be posting weekly updates to hold myself accountable to you all! Lets make this a creative, inspiring, freeing summer! Good luck!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this!!! I'll create my list of 12. It's going to be hard to pick only 12 I have so many things to do. Gotta thick of it as one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...