Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How It All Began

Six years ago I fell in L-O-V-E with fabric and was fortunate enough to find a lifelong friend and quilting teacher when I needed her the most! She offered me the basics and had me rip apart more than a few quilt blocks in the process. Sad truth: There is no moving forward without a seam ripper!

After learning to quilt I found I was drawn to projects and ideas a little more outside the box...and then I discovered the options for creativity are ENDLESS!

The foundation for this blog dawned a year ago when I stumbled across the book Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects.  http://dsquilts.com/  WOW!! On the front cover of this incredible book is a scarf made from upcycled fabrics, and I had such a strong, physical reaction to the concept I KNEW I had to make some and fast!



Best book ever!

After following her instructions to the letter I figured out what I liked, tweaked the pattern to suit my own tastes and got giddy considering all the embellishing options at my disposal. Then I began hunting thrift stores, garage sales and free bins for any and all fabric that spoke to me. There is something very liberating about throwing a wool suit into the washing machine, then tearing it apart and seeing where it ends up in an entirely new creation.

I went wild on scarves and sold some during the holidays. It was tough for me to put myself out there in such a way and my first holiday bazaar wasn't the blow out I had hoped for. But my feedback was positive and I got some scarves into a store on consignment (thanks to my friend Julie who belived in me more than I did!),where I was given rave reviews. I even had to sign an "Artists Agreement!"




All my efforts tied to a ladder for display


One of my favorites - I kept it for myself

At the time I felt like a fraud, not a "real artist," someone who snuck in the back door, etc. and so on .......but it got me thinking. I am SO impressed with all the crafy, bloggy, interesting people out there, why is it that I can't join in?? The answer is simple: permission. I did not give myself permission to believe I could do something fun, interesting or beautiful. I did not give myself permission to "put it out there" as they say, and see what happens. So, here it is. This is me putting it out there! I'm gonna get a little adventurous and see where it takes me. I can't be the only person out there looking for a little inspiration so my goal is to soak up all of it I can and then turn around and share it here!

Feel free to take any idea or project that speaks to you and make it your own. My scarves began as an idea in a fabulous book - the longer I played and contemplated the more they became mine until I realized they were mine! And it felt great. The journey was the thing!

So, I invite you to enjoy this blog and please check back whenever you like! You never know when inspiration may be waiting!!!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Yay Kelli! I absolutly love this idea. The scarves are so creative and very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you were able to find a mentor, it's been fun watching you grow & make some cool things. I have to say again I love my scarf!! I'm so proud that you started this blog. I knew it took a leap and boy I'm glad you did this will be a fun journey. Hopefully soon I'll be joining you on this blogging adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...